IBM Mainframe Forum Index
 
Log In
 
IBM Mainframe Forum Index Mainframe: Search IBM Mainframe Forum: FAQ Register
 

How to Clear all TSQs during CICS start up?


IBM Mainframe Forums -> CICS
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hooman24

New User


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 35
Location: US

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:46 pm
Reply with quote

Hi

We want to clear all TSQs during CICS start up everyday(we don't need their contents for the next day). We have a lot of programs that use TSQ but we don't want to change thousands of source codes, so, What is the best way to do it in operational environment?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robert Sample

Global Moderator


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 8569
Location: Dubuque, Iowa, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:09 pm
Reply with quote

Why not use START=COLD? Cold starting CICS removes all TS queues, among other things.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rohit Umarjikar

Global Moderator


Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 2572
Location: NYC,USA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:14 pm
Reply with quote

Temporary storage queues
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hooman24

New User


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 35
Location: US

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:28 pm
Reply with quote

Robert Sample wrote:
Why not use START=COLD? Cold starting CICS removes all TS queues, among other things.


Thank you Robert. I was looking for a command that purges all TSQ contents before warm restarting of CICS. However, I didn't think of COLD starting, It seems a good and easy solution. I don't know whether COLD starting of CICS everyday has any bad consequences or not. But in general this is a good idea. Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hooman24

New User


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 35
Location: US

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:49 pm
Reply with quote

Rohit Umarjikar wrote:
Temporary storage queues


Thank you Rohit. It was a good reference. Now I'm trying to weight up between CICS cold start and automatic deletion. In our environment during midnight maybe we need to delete a large amount of TSQs(thousands..). It seems to me cold start is the easiest way of deleting all TSQs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hooman24

New User


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 35
Location: US

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:21 pm
Reply with quote

We were trying to delete TSQs using Cold and even Initial start of CICS but it didn't delete our TSQs. We do have TSQ Server on Coupling Facility, then how we can delete these TSQs?!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prino
Warnings : 1

Senior Member


Joined: 07 Feb 2009
Posts: 1241
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:10 am
Reply with quote

Hooman24 wrote:
We were trying to delete TSQs using Cold and even Initial start of CICS but it didn't delete our TSQs. We do have TSQ Server on Coupling Facility, then how we can delete these TSQs?!!

Write programs that clear up the mess they create, not sloppy Windoze-comparable garbage!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robert Sample

Global Moderator


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 8569
Location: Dubuque, Iowa, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:26 am
Reply with quote

From www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSGMCP_5.2.0/com.ibm.cics.ts.performance.doc/topics/dfht3_tempstor_overview.html :
Code:

Table 1. Features of temporary storage locations
Temporary storage location       Storage type                            Automatic queue deletion       Recovery
Main storage                     64-bit storage in CICS region           Available                      Not available
Auxiliary storage                VSAM data set, plus 31-bit storage in   Available for non-recoverable  Available
                                 CICS region for buffers                 queues                 
Shared temporary storage pool    z/OS coupling facility                  Not available                  CICS recovery is not available, but the queues are persistent (they are not affected by a CICS restart)
So the answer to your question is to live without being able to delete them, write a program to delete them one by one, make the applications delete them once done with them, or get them out of the coupling facility so CICS can delete them. As they are currently set up, you have no automated (nor easy) method to delete the TSQs.

You may be able to remove them by using the shared TS queue server command CANCEL (which is a console command - see www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSGMCP_5.2.0/com.ibm.cics.ts.doc/dfha2/topics/dfha2_cancel_commandoptions.html#dfha2ec); the manual is unclear about the contents of the TSQs after the CANCEL command is issued.

What I would want to know at your site is who decided to use a temporary storage server? And were not the advantages and disadvantages thoroughly discussed with the CICS development and operations people before the decision was made? Moving TSQs to the coupling facility is a MAJOR change to the way CICS works and the decision should have taken weeks or months to make at any normal organization.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hooman24

New User


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 35
Location: US

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:02 pm
Reply with quote

Robert Sample wrote:
From www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSGMCP_5.2.0/com.ibm.cics.ts.performance.doc/topics/dfht3_tempstor_overview.html :
Code:

Table 1. Features of temporary storage locations
Temporary storage location       Storage type                            Automatic queue deletion       Recovery
Main storage                     64-bit storage in CICS region           Available                      Not available
Auxiliary storage                VSAM data set, plus 31-bit storage in   Available for non-recoverable  Available
                                 CICS region for buffers                 queues                 
Shared temporary storage pool    z/OS coupling facility                  Not available                  CICS recovery is not available, but the queues are persistent (they are not affected by a CICS restart)
So the answer to your question is to live without being able to delete them, write a program to delete them one by one, make the applications delete them once done with them, or get them out of the coupling facility so CICS can delete them. As they are currently set up, you have no automated (nor easy) method to delete the TSQs.

You may be able to remove them by using the shared TS queue server command CANCEL (which is a console command - see www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSGMCP_5.2.0/com.ibm.cics.ts.doc/dfha2/topics/dfha2_cancel_commandoptions.html#dfha2ec); the manual is unclear about the contents of the TSQs after the CANCEL command is issued.

What I would want to know at your site is who decided to use a temporary storage server? And were not the advantages and disadvantages thoroughly discussed with the CICS development and operations people before the decision was made? Moving TSQs to the coupling facility is a MAJOR change to the way CICS works and the decision should have taken weeks or months to make at any normal organization.


Thanks for your good reply. It seems that the only way to clear TSQs is by issuing SETXCF FORCE command on TSQ structure. And I really don't know whether this is a good solution or not?!
And you are right in this case using TSQ server didn't give us any benefit!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robert Sample

Global Moderator


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 8569
Location: Dubuque, Iowa, USA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:09 pm
Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems that the only way to clear TSQs is by issuing SETXCF FORCE command on TSQ structure. And I really don't know whether this is a good solution or not?!
No, it is not a great solution. However, it is probably the best solution you have right now.

Temporary storage queues -- the name states that they should be TEMPORARY and go away when not needed. Putting them into the coupling facility turns them into PERMANENT structures -- the exact opposite of what people usually mean by temporary storage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hooman24

New User


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 35
Location: US

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:15 pm
Reply with quote

Quote:

Temporary storage queues -- the name states that they should be TEMPORARY and go away when not needed. Putting them into the coupling facility turns them into PERMANENT structures -- the exact opposite of what people usually mean by temporary storage.


Thanks for clarification.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View Bookmarks
All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Forum Index -> CICS

 


Similar Topics
Topic Forum Replies
No new posts How to get RBA value from CICS EVENT CICS 5
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Sample CICS Webservices Program CICS 1
No new posts parmeter existence bit for URIMAP in ... CICS 1
No new posts How to use CICS command CEBR on sdsf ... CICS 1
No new posts CICS file processing using applicatio... CICS 3
Search our Forums:

Back to Top