IBM Mainframe Forum Index
 
Register
 
IBM Mainframe Forum Index Mainframe: Search Log in to check your private messages Log in
 

resume binary ftp in z/os


IBM Mainframe Forums -> All Other Mainframe Topics
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
meykh2014

New User


Joined: 03 Jul 2014
Posts: 29
Location: munich

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:01 am
Reply with quote

hi,
I've a z/OS client for put a large binary file to the ftp server in other side with mvs batch job. the network(internet) is unstable and some time's break down my ftp flow. I am going to resume ftp after this break.So i try 'RESTART' command but it doesn't work correctly. It respond me by this message :
EZA2501W Restart requires EBCDIC data type

Is RESTART work correctly in Binary ftp?
If not, how can i resume binary ftp?

icon_exclaim.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robert Sample

Global Moderator


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 8566
Location: Dubuque, Iowa, USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:07 pm
Reply with quote

Have you read the IP User's Guide manual in the Communications Server bookshelf for the requirements to use RESTART? If not, I highly recommend you start there. You cannot RESTART just any FTP transfer -- it must have been set up as a checkpointed transfer, and the server you're going to must support a checkpoint data set, and .... There are plenty of requirements and if you're not doing one of them then you won't be doing a RESTART. You may need to work with your site support group on setting up the RESTART requirements.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meykh2014

New User


Joined: 03 Jul 2014
Posts: 29
Location: munich

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:17 pm
Reply with quote

Robert Sample wrote:
Have you read the IP User's Guide manual in the Communications Server bookshelf for the requirements to use RESTART? If not, I highly recommend you start there. You cannot RESTART just any FTP transfer -- it must have been set up as a checkpointed transfer, and the server you're going to must support a checkpoint data set, and .... There are plenty of requirements and if you're not doing one of them then you won't be doing a RESTART. You may need to work with your site support group on setting up the RESTART requirements.


thanks Robert,
i read 'IP User's Guide' before and set up the needed parameters. checkpoint data set is correctly filled when job is working since problem occurred. but after problem, restart not worked properly. the server resume capability also was set.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robert Sample

Global Moderator


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 8566
Location: Dubuque, Iowa, USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:52 pm
Reply with quote

Are both sides of the connection using EBCDIC? If so, use the TYPE E FTP subcommand to meet the requirement of the EZA2501W error message. If the other end is NOT a z/OS system, you may discover significant issues with attempting to use the RESTART subcommand -- as in the server may not even support it. I've been using FTP on z/OS and its predecessors for more than 25 years, and I've NEVER had any need to use the RESTART subcommand. You should confirm with your site support group that the required Use [URL] BBCode for External Links parameters are set appropriately; you've got to get the LOCSITE / SITE parameters correct, and you may have to experiment with the FTP subcommands (such as MODE) before you can successfully use RESTART.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meykh2014

New User


Joined: 03 Jul 2014
Posts: 29
Location: munich

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:56 am
Reply with quote

Robert Sample wrote:
Are both sides of the connection using EBCDIC? If so, use the TYPE E FTP subcommand to meet the requirement of the EZA2501W error message. If the other end is NOT a z/OS system, you may discover significant issues with attempting to use the RESTART subcommand -- as in the server may not even support it. I've been using FTP on z/OS and its predecessors for more than 25 years, and I've NEVER had any need to use the RESTART subcommand. You should confirm with your site support group that the required Use [URL] BBCode for External Links parameters are set appropriately; you've got to get the LOCSITE / SITE parameters correct, and you may have to experiment with the FTP subcommands (such as MODE) before you can successfully use RESTART.


Unfortunately server side is not z/os and accordingly not support the ebcdic. So, what is your idea for this ftp situation? icon_question.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robert Sample

Global Moderator


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 8566
Location: Dubuque, Iowa, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:34 pm
Reply with quote

Quote:
So, what is your idea for this ftp situation?
Talk to your site support group. You have not provided very much information so there's not much for us to help you with. Your site support group should be able to do things like trace the route your FTP is taking to find out where the network instability comes from and therefore how to address it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meykh2014

New User


Joined: 03 Jul 2014
Posts: 29
Location: munich

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:46 pm
Reply with quote

Robert Sample wrote:
Quote:
So, what is your idea for this ftp situation?
Talk to your site support group. You have not provided very much information so there's not much for us to help you with. Your site support group should be able to do things like trace the route your FTP is taking to find out where the network instability comes from and therefore how to address it.


Thank you. Finally, I preferred to move the file to local linux system and ftp from it to destination. In this plan we have "resume capability" and network instability isn't matter. But the question is still remains.
How can i transfer binary file with RESUME capability from z/OS system to LUW systems when the RESTART and SRESTART not worked for EBCDIC?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View Bookmarks
All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Forum Index -> All Other Mainframe Topics

 

Search our Forum:

Similar Topics
Topic Forum Replies
No new posts Binary to display characters SYNCSORT 3
No new posts Check Binary Values for symbols CA Products 3
No new posts Casting a Binary Number to Numeric in... Java & MQSeries 6
No new posts MOVING COMP-3 into binary COBOL Programming 2
No new posts USS Shell script:Convert hex to binar... All Other Mainframe Topics 0

Back to Top