IBM Mainframe Forum Index
 
Log In
 
IBM Mainframe Forum Index Mainframe: Search IBM Mainframe Forum: FAQ Register
 

Finding the JOBs using a datset


IBM Mainframe Forums -> JCL & VSAM
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hchinnam

New User


Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:25 pm
Reply with quote

Hello,

I have JOB waiting for a particular dataset. I can see the message below in the spool.

Code:

IEF861I FOLLOWING RESERVED DATA SET NAMES UNAVAILABLE TO XXXXXXXX 
IEF863I DSN = XX.XXXX.XXX XXXXXXXX RC = 04                     


Is there a way to find out who is using this dataset and publish it in the Spool? My idea is to send a mail to that user automatically when it happens.

Is there a way do it with a simple rexx or some common utility.

Regards,
Harsha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeterHolland

Global Moderator


Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 2481
Location: Netherlands, Amstelveen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:34 pm
Reply with quote

D GRS,C
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hchinnam

New User


Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:43 pm
Reply with quote

Sorry didn't get that. Can you please through some light?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeterHolland

Global Moderator


Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 2481
Location: Netherlands, Amstelveen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:46 pm
Reply with quote

The GRS display command can be used to display MVS resource contention information. Useful forms of this command include:
D GRS,C

It is of course an operator command, but maybe you can use it with SDSF or IOF.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hchinnam

New User


Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:06 pm
Reply with quote

How to use it?

We have IOF in our shop and i am getting following error when i try to use it.

Code:

------------------------------ IOF Job List Menu -------------<   Keyword    >-
COMMAND ===> d grs                                           SCROLL ===> CURSOR
-------------------------------- Running Jobs ---------------------------------


Also looks like this command has to issued manually... But i want to automate it some how. So if there is a utility or rexx that i can put in as a job step i can reads it's output in another step and send the mail out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
expat

Global Moderator


Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 8797
Location: Welsh Wales

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:08 pm
Reply with quote

What, running 24/7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeterHolland

Global Moderator


Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 2481
Location: Netherlands, Amstelveen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:11 pm
Reply with quote

Enter CONSOLE (or CN) from any IOF panel to invoke the IOF personal console. Alternately, enter $jes2cmd or #mvscmd to issue a JES2 or MVS command and automatically invoke the console.

try "MVS D GRS,C" in rexx.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gcicchet

Senior Member


Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Posts: 1702
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:22 pm
Reply with quote

Hi,

what happens when the user doesn't respond to your mail ?

What if the user of the dataset is another job ?


Gerry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeterHolland

Global Moderator


Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 2481
Location: Netherlands, Amstelveen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:28 pm
Reply with quote

expat wrote:
What, running 24/7


Expat,

we did that all the time with SA/390.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hchinnam

New User


Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:29 pm
Reply with quote

I can send the mail to a Support team's group mail box. So that it can be actioned immediatly (if possible) ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeterHolland

Global Moderator


Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 2481
Location: Netherlands, Amstelveen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:30 pm
Reply with quote

gcicchet wrote:
Hi,

what happens when the user doesn't respond to your mail ?

What if the user of the dataset is another job ?


Gerry


Gerry,

create a ticket for the responsible department or helpdesk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
expat

Global Moderator


Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 8797
Location: Welsh Wales

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:36 pm
Reply with quote

PeterHolland wrote:
expat wrote:
What, running 24/7

Expat,
we did that all the time with SA/390.

Peter, that's using a product designed for the actions, this seems yet again another candidate for joining the "Wheel reinvention society".

Surely it can't be THAT difficult to google these things, find out if there is already a product in house, and then liaise with the people responsible for that product.

Just another example of lack of knowledge causing a waste of resource icon_evil.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeterHolland

Global Moderator


Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 2481
Location: Netherlands, Amstelveen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:43 pm
Reply with quote

Quote:

causing a waste of resource


That would be my bandwidth.

But if you have no knowledge about automation at all, i could understand the TS. Anyway doing some research doesnt hurt, or does it? icon_cry.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
expat

Global Moderator


Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 8797
Location: Welsh Wales

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:46 pm
Reply with quote

Peter, I guess that I was brought up in a sound IT environment.

When we had requirements like that, the sysprogs were the first port of call, hey guys do we have something that will do ........

If they said yes, it was investigated and almost certainly implemented, and if they said no, next question would be .... any suggestions as how to do this

Maybe that's just an ops consultancy point of view.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeterHolland

Global Moderator


Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 2481
Location: Netherlands, Amstelveen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:49 pm
Reply with quote

Quote:

in a sound IT environment


Sure, i know the drill. We are of course spoiled brats by now, grown up
with a golden spoon in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hchinnam

New User


Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:12 pm
Reply with quote

expat wrote:
PeterHolland wrote:
expat wrote:
What, running 24/7

Expat,
we did that all the time with SA/390.

Peter, that's using a product designed for the actions, this seems yet again another candidate for joining the "Wheel reinvention society".

Surely it can't be THAT difficult to google these things, find out if there is already a product in house, and then liaise with the people responsible for that product.

Just another example of lack of knowledge causing a waste of resource icon_evil.gif


what an .... icon_sad.gif

What is the word i can use to describe the people who thinks they are always correct and know every thing.... icon_exclaim.gif

I did google for it and searched this forum before posting it here. What i got is either irrelevant or does not fit my requirements..

I don't know how it was when punch cards were being used.... but now a days it is not a easy JOB to ask SYS programmers "hey pal how to do this". With SOA it is very difficult or virtually impossible to contact SYS programmers and considering their work load it might be difficult get the response back.

Lack of knowledge... true. That is the reason i seek help... Waste of resources... I don't think so... Looks like you have ample time to write all that nonsense..

Moderators... Can you please remove all the posts that are not relevant to the original topic? including this. Sorry to post this but didn't had a choice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robert Sample

Global Moderator


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 8612
Location: Dubuque, Iowa, USA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:31 pm
Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a way to find out who is using this dataset and publish it in the Spool? My idea is to send a mail to that user automatically when it happens.
The official, approved way to find out who is using the data set is to use the console command D GRS,C to display current enqueues (which is what the conflict is). It is not common for application programmers to be given the right to issue console commands, so you may not be able to issue this command.

Your idea requires discussion with your management and the site support group since (1) the problem is not specific to you but to everyone at your site, (2) email may not be the best way to resolve the issue -- what if the person opened the data set in an edit session and then went home?, and (3) the solution should be developed by the site support group for everyone at the site. Often the solution is for the system operators to contact the person (if on call) or to otherwise resolve the issue -- specifics depend upon the site and how site management wants the issue handled.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeterHolland

Global Moderator


Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 2481
Location: Netherlands, Amstelveen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:15 pm
Reply with quote

hchinnam wrote:
expat wrote:
PeterHolland wrote:
expat wrote:
What, running 24/7

Expat,
we did that all the time with SA/390.

Peter, that's using a product designed for the actions, this seems yet again another candidate for joining the "Wheel reinvention society".

Surely it can't be THAT difficult to google these things, find out if there is already a product in house, and then liaise with the people responsible for that product.

Just another example of lack of knowledge causing a waste of resource icon_evil.gif


what an .... icon_sad.gif

What is the word i can use to describe the people who thinks they are always correct and know every thing.... icon_exclaim.gif

I did google for it and searched this forum before posting it here. What i got is either irrelevant or does not fit my requirements..

I don't know how it was when punch cards were being used.... but now a days it is not a easy JOB to ask SYS programmers "hey pal how to do this". With SOA it is very difficult or virtually impossible to contact SYS programmers and considering their work load it might be difficult get the response back.

Lack of knowledge... true. That is the reason i seek help... Waste of resources... I don't think so... Looks like you have ample time to write all that nonsense..

Moderators... Can you please remove all the posts that are not relevant to the original topic? including this. Sorry to post this but didn't had a choice.


Im terrible sorry you feel that way, but i gave you some pointers like D GRS,C using IOF, trying MVS D GRS,C in rexx, creating tickest to alert people. So thats enough info to ask around in your organization to find
a solution for your problem. And it has nothing to do with system programmers asking something but finding the right people (like your managers?) to do that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View Bookmarks
All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Forum Index -> JCL & VSAM

 


Similar Topics
Topic Forum Replies
No new posts Finding record and replacing with val... DFSORT/ICETOOL 3
No new posts Finding a semi colon (;) in ISPF TSO/ISPF 5
No new posts Negative dependency between jobs in m... COBOL Programming 12
No new posts How to submit multiple jobs with parm... JCL & VSAM 3
No new posts can someone please help me in finding... IBM Tools 9
Search our Forums:

Back to Top