I have converted a cobol -1 code to cobol-390 . In this program a KSDS file is getting opened in I-O mode. The file is getting delete defined in the 1st step and in the 2nd step my program is using this file. In cobol-1 it is displaying file-status for this file as '00' where as cobol 390 it is giving file status as '35'. In order to resolve this issue I have moved low-values into this VSAM file once it got created(defined). But is will add up one extra record into the file anyways I did used SORT to skip this first rec but it increased some more steps to my JCL.Which is not recommended. So,please let me know is there any better solution for to handle this issue.