Portal | Manuals | References | Downloads | Info | Programs | JCLs | Master the Mainframes
IBM Mainframe Computers Forums Index
 
Register
 
IBM Mainframe Computers Forums Index Mainframe: Search IBM Mainframe Forum: FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
 

 

BMP to invoke an MPP

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IBMMAINFRAMES.com Support Forums -> IMS DB/DC
View previous topic :: :: View next topic  
Author Message
Anand Syril

New User


Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: BMP to invoke an MPP
Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a requirement wherein IMS transaction(which does not interact with any terminals, as in, screens) has to be triggered daily at 6 in the morning.
I thought of this process, but not sure whether it is proper!

>>Have a BMP program which will have the following step to invoke the MPP.
CALL 'CBLTDLI' USING DLI-CHNG
TPPCB
<<MPP Transaction>>
CALL 'CBLTDLI' USING DLI-ISRT
TPPCB
<<MPP Transaction Message>>

Once this MPP Transaction gets invoked, will this(IMS transaction program) run as a MPP or a BMP program?
The reason being, my IMS transaction program does not have any 'Checkpoint' and hence, if this is going to run as a BMP and is going to abend, then all the database updates made would not get saved.
This is the reason why I want to run my IMS transaction program as a MPP.

Note: This MPP is an existing transaction program, hence cannot be modified to introduce any 'checkpoint'

Please let me know if there is any other process wherein the IMS transaction can be triggered automatically?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

dick scherrer

Site Director


Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 19270
Location: Inside the Matrix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hello,

Quote:
Note: This MPP is an existing transaction program, hence cannot be modified to introduce any 'checkpoint'
I suggest there are many "existing transaction program"s that are changed whenever requirements call for a change. . . .

Sounds like this is an existing program that may now need to be changed. . .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anand Syril

New User


Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

dick scherrer wrote:
Hello,

Quote:
Note: This MPP is an existing transaction program, hence cannot be modified to introduce any 'checkpoint'
I suggest there are many "existing transaction program"s that are changed whenever requirements call for a change. . . .

Sounds like this is an existing program that may now need to be changed. . .


Hi Dick,

Thanks for the reply!!
So do you mean that when the MPP IMS transaction is invoked using the TPPCB call from the BMP program, the IMS transaction will run as a BMP and not as a MPP?

Can you provide any method by which I can have an IMS transaction triggered automatically , say every day morning at 6'O clock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dick scherrer

Site Director


Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 19270
Location: Inside the Matrix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hello,

Quote:
So do you mean that when the MPP IMS transaction is invoked using the TPPCB call from the BMP program, the IMS transaction will run as a BMP and not as a MPP?
No, that is not what i meant.

What i mean is that existing programs can (and should) be changed when the need arises. If you need to add something, for some new requirement, do so.

If you need a process to be executed at 6 in the morning, suggest you talk with your scheduling people about having your process run daily at 6.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anand Syril

New User


Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

dick scherrer wrote:
Hello,

Quote:
So do you mean that when the MPP IMS transaction is invoked using the TPPCB call from the BMP program, the IMS transaction will run as a BMP and not as a MPP?
No, that is not what i meant.

What i mean is that existing programs can (and should) be changed when the need arises. If you need to add something, for some new requirement, do so.

If you need a process to be executed at 6 in the morning, suggest you talk with your scheduling people about having your process run daily at 6.


thanks dick!!
Yeah i do understand, and we do make changes if necessary. But this program is accessed frm different applications and hence, we do not have the luxury to modify it.

Anyway, my understanding is: an IMS transaction, when invoked from a BMP batch program , will run as a MPP only.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dick scherrer

Site Director


Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 19270
Location: Inside the Matrix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply to: BMP to invoke an MPP
Reply with quote

You're welcome - Good luck icon_smile.gif

Let us know your eventual solution/implementation.

d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandy Zimmer

Active Member


Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 826
Location: Wilmington, DE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Do you have any scheduling packages in your environment - such as CA-7?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anand Syril

New User


Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi Sandy,

Yeah we have OPCE.

Earlier I thought of having a program which will be scheduled to run at 6(batch job). This program will populate a MQ and thru this triggr my IMS transaction. (using IMS trigger monitor progrm CSQQTRMN). Later i found tat this trigger monitor is not available.
So, i thought of going for this approach wherein i will have a BMP to trigger my IMS transaction(and let it run as a MPP)

Please let me know if my understanding "an IMS transaction, when invoked from a BMP batch program , will run as a MPP only" is correct or not?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandy Zimmer

Active Member


Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 826
Location: Wilmington, DE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

OK. What time do they bring the databases offline for maintenance? Let's think about setting up a transaction class that only comes up when the databases are brought back up. Then we can assign that MPP transaction to that class. BMP means batch message processing. What will be the purpose of your MPP?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anand Syril

New User


Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi Sandy,

Normally it is down frm 11p.m till 3 a.m ... .

I can provide my scenario in detail
- I have a IMS screen and the transaciton pgm A and this A calls another pgm B(which is a common module - has the functionality.. and this pgm B does not have any check points)
I need to invoke this pgm B every day morning at 6 somehow.

So, i thought of having a job(scheduled for 6 O clock) to execute a BMP program which will invoke a IMS transaction "C". This C will call the common module "B".

If this pgm B (when invoked by transaction pgm "C") is going to run in BMP then, since it does not have checkpoint when it errors out, it is in trouble. If it runs as MPP, since the database updates get saved automatically, it shudnt be a problem.

Code:

CALL 'CBLTDLI' USING DLI-CHNG
                                  TPPCB
                                   <<MPP Transaction "C">>


CALL 'CBLTDLI' USING DLI-ISRT
                                 TPPCB
                                 <<MPP Transaction Message "C">>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandy Zimmer

Active Member


Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 826
Location: Wilmington, DE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

There are always many solutions to a problem. Think about this.......if your program runs quickly why do you need checkpoints? If your database is HUGE and/or your process is long running - then yes. However, backups and restores of a database is an option. I never used checkpoints in quick running BMP programs. Just think about it....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anand Syril

New User


Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi Sandy,
Thanks for the reply!!

I think I will keep my query short.

Is it possible to invoke an IMS Transaction(say C) from a BMP program, using the following command?

Code:
CALL 'CBLTDLI' USING DLI-CHNG
                                  TPPCB
                                   <<IMS Transaction "C">>


CALL 'CBLTDLI' USING DLI-ISRT
                                 TPPCB
                                 <<Message for Transaction"C">>


After I submit the BMP program invoking job, the Transaction does appear to get triggered, but the msg i get is:

Code:
DFS551I BATCH   REGION <Job name> STARTED ID=00005 TIME=1557 .     
DFS552I BATCH   REGION <Job Name> STOPPED ID=00005 TIME=1557 .     
DFS555I TRAN "C"   ABEND S000,U4095 SYS ID 004; MSG IN PROCESS:
VOS329  ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;.                                       



After this, when i check in online, i find that the Transaction "C" is stopped.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandy Zimmer

Active Member


Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 826
Location: Wilmington, DE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Is your transaction and/or PSB defined in that region and started?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anand Syril

New User


Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Yes Sandy,
the Transaction and BMP's are defined in the respective region.

Before I submit the BMP , I checked the Transaction/PSB "C" whether it is in normal status(i.e NOT STOPPED).

Once I submit the job and check in IMS region, i find the transaction/PSB to be STOPPED status.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandy Zimmer

Active Member


Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 826
Location: Wilmington, DE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Is the message class for that transaction up?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anand Syril

New User


Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Yes Sandy.. The Message Class is also UP.

It looks like, once the BMP job gets complete, it STOP s the Transaction as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anand Syril

New User


Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi Sandy,

To provide more info:

This was the error msg that was available in IMS log.
VIC914 is the transaction. and T040A02B is the BMP job.

Code:
DFS552I BATCH   REGION T040A02B STOPPED ID=00005 TIME=1702 .                   
DFS551I BATCH   REGION T040A02B STARTED ID=00005 TIME=1705 .                   
DFS552I BATCH   REGION T040A02B STOPPED ID=00005 TIME=1705 .                   
DFS2503W DYNAMIC ALLOCATION   FAILED FOR                                       
(DFS2503W) DATASET NAME NVSTV.TESTD.VIXR1K.ELECXRPT                           
(DFS2503W) DATABASE VIXR     WITHIN PSB VIC914   REASON CODE 1708.             
DFS2503W DYNAMIC ALLOCATION   FAILED FOR                                       
(DFS2503W) DATASET NAME NVSTN.TESTD.VPXR1O.ELECXRPT                           
(DFS2503W) DATABASE VPXR     WITHIN PSB VIC914   REASON CODE 1708.             
DFS194W - DATA BASE DPVI     REFERENCED BY PSB VIC914   IS NOT REGISTERED WITH
DBRC..                                                                         
DFS194W - DATA BASE VIXR     REFERENCED BY PSB VIC914   IS NOT REGISTERED WITH
DBRC..                                                                         
DFS194W - DATA BASE VPXR     REFERENCED BY PSB VIC914   IS NOT REGISTERED WITH
DBRC..                                                                         
DFS0730I UNABLE TO OPEN  DATA SET WITH DDNAME VPXR1O   FOR REASON A,10,01 DATAB
ASE VPXR     TRN VIC914  .                                                     
DFS555I TRAN VIC914   ABEND S000,U4095 SYS ID 004; MSG IN PROCESS:             
VIC914  0000008010000000;;.                                                   
 2009/082  17:07:35.                                                           
DFS554A J420IMD1 00002 REGION   VIC914  (1) VIC914   000,4095 PSB SMB         
  2009/082 17:07:35.                                                           
DFS2503W DYNAMIC ALLOCATION   FAILED FOR                                       
(DFS2503W) DATASET NAME NVSTV.TESTD.VIXR1K.ELECXRPT                           
(DFS2503W) DATABASE VIXR     WITHIN PSB VIC914   REASON CODE 1708.             
DFS2503W DYNAMIC ALLOCATION   FAILED FOR                                       
(DFS2503W) DATASET NAME NVSTN.TESTD.VPXR1O.ELECXRPT
(DFS2503W) DATABASE VPXR     WITHIN PSB VIC914   REASON CODE 1708.             
DFS194W - DATA BASE VIXR     REFERENCED BY PSB VIC914   IS NOT REGISTERED WITH
DBRC..                                                                         
DFS194W - DATA BASE VPXR     REFERENCED BY PSB VIC914   IS NOT REGISTERED WITH
DBRC..                                                                         
DFS0730I UNABLE TO OPEN  DATA SET WITH DDNAME VPXR1O   FOR REASON A,10,01 DATAB
ASE VPXR     TRN VIC914  .                                                     
DFS555I TRAN VIC914   ABEND S000,U4095 SYS ID 004; MSG IN PROCESS:             
VIC914  0000008010000000;;.                                                                               
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aishwarya_20

New User


Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Posts: 57
Location: pune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply to: BMP to invoke an MPP
Reply with quote

Hi Anand,

Yes, one BMP program can invoke MPP program.

I saw your requirement. Why don't you use PURGE call instead of INSERT call after Change call. I guess it will work.

Make sure that before Purge call you are moving length of mesage to LL part and in the call you are passing TP-PCB-MASK , Alternate-mod name.

Please show me your both calls .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naveengec

New User


Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Location: pune

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Anand Syril wrote:
Hi Sandy,
Thanks for the reply!!

I think I will keep my query short.

Is it possible to invoke an IMS Transaction(say C) from a BMP program, using the following command?

Code:
CALL 'CBLTDLI' USING DLI-CHNG
                                  TPPCB
                                   <<IMS Transaction "C">>


CALL 'CBLTDLI' USING DLI-ISRT
                                 TPPCB
                                 <<Message for Transaction"C">>


After I submit the BMP program invoking job, the Transaction does appear to get triggered, but the msg i get is:

Code:
DFS551I BATCH   REGION <Job name> STARTED ID=00005 TIME=1557 .     
DFS552I BATCH   REGION <Job Name> STOPPED ID=00005 TIME=1557 .     
DFS555I TRAN "C"   ABEND S000,U4095 SYS ID 004; MSG IN PROCESS:
VOS329  ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;.                                       



After this, when i check in online, i find that the Transaction "C" is stopped.



Anand, Just now i read this thred. At last how did u scheduled it for 6. Is it triggering MPP thru BMP? Please let me know abt it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anand Syril

New User


Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

naveengec wrote:
Anand Syril wrote:
Hi Sandy,
Thanks for the reply!!

I think I will keep my query short.

Is it possible to invoke an IMS Transaction(say C) from a BMP program, using the following command?

Code:
CALL 'CBLTDLI' USING DLI-CHNG
                                  TPPCB
                                   <<IMS Transaction "C">>


CALL 'CBLTDLI' USING DLI-ISRT
                                 TPPCB
                                 <<Message for Transaction"C">>


After I submit the BMP program invoking job, the Transaction does appear to get triggered, but the msg i get is:

Code:
DFS551I BATCH   REGION <Job name> STARTED ID=00005 TIME=1557 .     
DFS552I BATCH   REGION <Job Name> STOPPED ID=00005 TIME=1557 .     
DFS555I TRAN "C"   ABEND S000,U4095 SYS ID 004; MSG IN PROCESS:
VOS329  ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;.                                       



After this, when i check in online, i find that the Transaction "C" is stopped.



Anand, Just now i read this thred. At last how did u scheduled it for 6. Is it triggering MPP thru BMP? Please let me know abt it.


Hi Naveen,

Yeah, the BMP did trigger the MPP finally, and it is now in production icon_biggrin.gif

The reason as to why the MPP failed was because of some programmatic error whereby the PSB(for BMP) was not defined for the Alternate terminal PCB.
Code:
PCB     TYPE=TP,EXPRESS=NO,MODIFY=YES


After I got this change in the PSB (that of BMP), it triggered the MPP successfully icon_smile.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IBMMAINFRAMES.com Support Forums -> IMS DB/DC All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 

Search our Forum:

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Posted
No new posts Invoke Webservice Fails with DFHPI100... divated CICS 2 Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:57 pm
No new posts RESP 13 and RESP 3 : webservice invok... maxsubrat CICS 1 Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:57 pm
No new posts Invoke a CICS transaction kinatingopi CICS 4 Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:54 am
No new posts Passing Header information in INVOKE ... frozenblood CICS 4 Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:51 am
No new posts How to invoke Spufi from REXX to quer... dev9 DB2 8 Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:35 pm


Facebook
Back to Top
 
Mainframe Wiki | Forum Rules | Bookmarks | Subscriptions | FAQ | Tutorials | Contact Us