I have to initialize a new volume but I cant do it. I dont know why ?
I think due the non availability of physical storage I am not able to create a volume. can any one tell me how to find whether a volume can be created in a DASD or not.
a) what do you mean by "non availability of physical storage" ?
b) which program do you use?
c) what error msg do you get?
1) The pyhsical box must be installed
2) it must be connected via some cahnnel path to the LPAR you are running your program on.
3) The engineer must have defined the DASD-drives in the physical box, normally done after consultation with system-progs or storage-mngmt.
4) the DASD-device you want to init should be OFFLINE
5) when using ICKDSF on a newly installed box then VERIFY must not be coded, if the box was in use and you want to re-init, then you should favor using VERIFY
6) You must be RACF-authorized to access the volume/unit-address, ask your RACF-specialist about the required authorizations.
Hope this helps,