Portal | Manuals | References | Downloads | Info | Programs | JCLs | Mainframe wiki | Quick Ref
IBM Mainframe Computers Forums Index
 
Register
 
IBM Mainframe Computers Forums Index Mainframe: Search IBM Mainframe Forum: FAQ Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
 
What are the circumstances in real time to overide Dataset

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IBMMAINFRAMES.com Support Forums -> JCL & VSAM
View previous topic :: :: View next topic  
Author Message
pmmsiresh

New User


Joined: 26 Sep 2005
Posts: 13
Location: Hyderabad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: What are the circumstances in real time to overide Dataset
Reply with quote

We use symbolic parameters in the Procrdures to overide the data set!!!

My question is what are the circumstances in the real time we overide the dataset and what are its consequences!! how it is helpful.???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Kevin

Active User


Joined: 25 Aug 2005
Posts: 234

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: symbolic parameters in jcl
Reply with quote

pmmsiresh wrote:
We use symbolic parameters in the Procrdures to overide the data set!!!


Actually, just the opposite. Usually symbolic parameters are used in the procedure to eliminate the need to use overrides.

pmmsiresh wrote:
My question is what are the circumstances in the real time we overide the dataset and what are its consequences!! how it is helpful.???

One circumstance might be a cyclical billing application. Each day, the billing cycle is run and the billing files are created and stored in generation data group (GDG) datasets. The contents of the GDG's are sent to various insurance carriers for payment. After a week, one of the insurance carriers states that they did not process a billing file for a specific day, so that day's billing file needs to be re-sent. Once the proper GDG is identified, an override is done to use that data for the billing cycle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pmmsiresh

New User


Joined: 26 Sep 2005
Posts: 13
Location: Hyderabad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: symbolic parameters in jcl
Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
pmmsiresh wrote:
We use symbolic parameters in the Procrdures to overide the data set!!!


Actually, just the opposite. Usually symbolic parameters are used in the procedure to eliminate the need to use overrides.

pmmsiresh wrote:
My question is what are the circumstances in the real time we overide the dataset and what are its consequences!! how it is helpful.???

One circumstance might be a cyclical billing application. Each day, the billing cycle is run and the billing files are created and stored in generation data group (GDG) datasets. The contents of the GDG's are sent to various insurance carriers for payment. After a week, one of the insurance carriers states that they did not process a billing file for a specific day, so that day's billing file needs to be re-sent. Once the proper GDG is identified, an override is done to use that data for the billing cycle.


Thank you very much kevin, you have give me usefull information, I am a beginner in the mainframes
Thank you thanks a lot..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IBMMAINFRAMES.com Support Forums -> JCL & VSAM All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 

Search our Forum:

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Posted
No new posts Comparing 2 Files using Current time arunsoods SYNCSORT 9 Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:00 pm
No new posts Regarding time parameter shanthi gude JCL & VSAM 7 Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:31 pm
No new posts Updating the Trailer count in variabl... satheshbabur DFSORT/ICETOOL 6 Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:49 pm
No new posts Mainframe dataset split purushottam DFSORT/ICETOOL 13 Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:28 pm
No new posts Unable to copy data from spool in a d... srikant314 JCL & VSAM 8 Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:10 pm

Facebook
Back to Top
 
Job Vacancies | Forum Rules | Bookmarks | Subscriptions | FAQ | Polls | Contact Us