Joined: 06 Jun 2008 Posts: 8231 Location: Dubuque, Iowa, USA
From IBM'S II13718:
VSAM End-Of-Volume (EOV) support of DVC depends not only on
whether the data set is a VSAM data set, but also on the type of
VSAM access to the VSAM data set.
For VSAM access to a VSAM data set, VSAM EOV will use DVC when
extending a component to a new volume, subject to the
restrictions listed below.
VSAM End-Of-Volume restrictions for using Dynamic Volume Count:
VSAM EOV will NOT use DVC if any of the following are true:
1. The VSAM data set is not on System Managed (No Storage class)
2. The VSAM data set does not have a data class.
3. The VSAM data set is a system data set such as:
* Catalog BCS - can reside on only one volume
* VVDS - can reside on only one volume
* System data set (ACBSDS=ON)
* Page data sets
* Swap data sets
4. The VSAM data set was created with the IMBED option
5. The VSAM data set was created with the KEYRANGE option
6. The VSAM data set was created as a temporary data set
7. The VSAM data set is being accessed with Record Level Sharing
8. Snapshot processing.
ACBSDS is one of the bits of the ACB and indicates that this is a system data set.