Thanks, but the solution provided requires that the file which contains the two fields for comparison is copied so that two files exit. I have severe restrictions on time and storage compounded with a lack of experience in File-AID, what i was hoping for was to
1. Open the file containing the two fields
2. Compare field1 with field2 with non-matching fields being returned (field1 was derived from field2 so we are hoping that the two fields match in every record).
does anyone know of an alternative method for comparing two fields within the same file without having to make a copy of the file?
Joined: 01 Dec 2006 Posts: 694 Location: Pennsylvania
If you are not able to get what you were hoping for, are you willing to take anything you can get?
Answering the following may help obtain an alternative solution.
1) What is the lrecl of the dataset?
2) How many records are there in the dataset?
3) Can the file be opened in ISPF VIEW?
4) What sort product and level do you have?
5) What does severe restriction on time and storage mean?
I ask these questions, because there may be options with REXX, ISPF Edit macro, or Sort.
Running as a batch job may help as well.
I can not help with File-Aid, and having that as a restriction may limit things as well.