Portal | Manuals | References | Downloads | Info | Programs | JCLs | Master the Mainframes
IBM Mainframe Computers Forums Index
 
Register
 
IBM Mainframe Computers Forums Index Mainframe: Search IBM Mainframe Forum: FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
 

 

How to convert File from UNIX to Mainframes

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IBMMAINFRAMES.com Support Forums -> All Other Mainframe Topics
View previous topic :: :: View next topic  
Author Message
aripallig

New User


Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Posts: 23
Location: india

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: How to convert File from UNIX to Mainframes
Reply with quote

Hi All,

As past of client IPACS cost reduction we planned to get the ZIP file from UNIX system and UNZIP in Mainframes.
We have PKZIP in our system os/390, Unix to have the same.
As file being huge they proposed to use GZIP to unzip to dataset. But while doing this process the file is not getting converted .

Can any one have the JCL to unzip the file zipped in unix by using gzip.

Thanks,
Girish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

superk

Moderator Team Head


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 4649
Location: Raleigh, NC, USA

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to: How to convert File from UNIX to Mainframes
Reply with quote

What Version of the PKZIP software are you running?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aripallig

New User


Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Posts: 23
Location: india

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to: How to convert File from UNIX to Mainframes
Reply with quote

superk wrote:
What Version of the PKZIP software are you running?


z/OS, Version 9.0.0k

Thanks,
Girish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robert Sample

Global Moderator


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 8117
Location: East Dubuque, Illinois, USA

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

First, decide upon PKZIP or gzip/gunzip -- they are not necessarily compatible (gunzip specifically will not unzip a PKZIP file, for example). gunzip and gzip typically work under Unix System Services (USS) on USS files. Have you thought about using pax?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aripallig

New User


Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Posts: 23
Location: india

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Robert Sample wrote:
First, decide upon PKZIP or gzip/gunzip -- they are not necessarily compatible (gunzip specifically will not unzip a PKZIP file, for example). gunzip and gzip typically work under Unix System Services (USS) on USS files. Have you thought about using pax?


Hi,

I have PKZIP z/OS, Version 9.0.0k installed in our system, and the UNIX system are sending the by using gunzip. Now i need to unzip in mainfrmaes by using PKZIP which is available.

Thanks
Girish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robert Sample

Global Moderator


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Posts: 8117
Location: East Dubuque, Illinois, USA

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Does gunzip on Unix create a zip file? I've seen that it can do so on Windows but I don't see any such statement on the gzip web site for Unix. Assuming that it will do so, have you transferred the file (in binary) to the mainframe? Have you attempted to run PKZIP against the file?

If you're asking for specific JCL to run PKZIP against your file, shouldn't you contact your site support group or the PKZIP vendor for assistance and/or the manual? The precise JCL will be site-dependent and may vary depending on how and where PKZIP was installed.

Contact thesite support group or the PKZIP vendor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aripallig

New User


Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Posts: 23
Location: india

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Robert Sample wrote:
Does gunzip on Unix create a zip file? I've seen that it can do so on Windows but I don't see any such statement on the gzip web site for Unix. Assuming that it will do so, have you transferred the file (in binary) to the mainframe? Have you attempted to run PKZIP against the file?

If you're asking for specific JCL to run PKZIP against your file, shouldn't you contact your site support group or the PKZIP vendor for assistance and/or the manual? The precise JCL will be site-dependent and may vary depending on how and where PKZIP was installed.

Contact thesite support group or the PKZIP vendor.


It's an PKWARE product, but we don't have any contact information with us. I ran the Job against that dataset but of no use nothing happened.
If you have JCL for this one please pass it .
i am utter need of that.
Thanks,
Girish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
superk

Moderator Team Head


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 4649
Location: Raleigh, NC, USA

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to: How to convert File from UNIX to Mainframes
Reply with quote

The previous versions of PKZIP have supported GZIP, so I have to believe that the newest versions do also.

I just downloaded a copy of the PKZIP for z/OS Version 9 User's Guide, and Chapter 12 is actually titled Processing with GZIP.

According to the manual, you need to specify:

-ARCHIVE_ZIPFORMAT(GZIP)

and has a few notes:

The GZIP standard does not support PKWARE archive attributes; therefore, some
SecureZIP features are not available for use when the GZIP format is enabled. Some
features which are excluded from use are: strong encryption, digital signatures,
multiple files per GZIP stream, self-extracting archives.
• When enabled with GZIP, password-based 96-bit encryption is supported for decryption
under PKZIP for MVS, PKZIP for zSeries, PKZIP for OS/400, PKZIP for i5/OS,
SecureZIP for i5/OS, PKZIP for z/OS, and SecureZIP for z/OS.
• When processing input GZIP archives, see also: GZIP_SUFFIX and GZIPCRC_IGNORE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aripallig

New User


Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Posts: 23
Location: india

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to: How to convert File from UNIX to Mainframes
Reply with quote

superk wrote:
The previous versions of PKZIP have supported GZIP, so I have to believe that the newest versions do also.

I just downloaded a copy of the PKZIP for z/OS Version 9 User's Guide, and Chapter 12 is actually titled Processing with GZIP.

According to the manual, you need to specify:

-ARCHIVE_ZIPFORMAT(GZIP)

and has a few notes:

The GZIP standard does not support PKWARE archive attributes; therefore, some
SecureZIP features are not available for use when the GZIP format is enabled. Some
features which are excluded from use are: strong encryption, digital signatures,
multiple files per GZIP stream, self-extracting archives.
• When enabled with GZIP, password-based 96-bit encryption is supported for decryption
under PKZIP for MVS, PKZIP for zSeries, PKZIP for OS/400, PKZIP for i5/OS,
SecureZIP for i5/OS, PKZIP for z/OS, and SecureZIP for z/OS.
• When processing input GZIP archives, see also: GZIP_SUFFIX and GZIPCRC_IGNORE

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your help, i am having sysin card as belwo
//SYSIN DD *
-ARCHIVE_ZIPFORMAT(GZIP)
-EXTRACT
-ARCHIVE(MDEAA.DREAT.SSSRES01.EVTHST1.G0004V00)
-OUTDD(OUTPUT)

Can you please confirm this, because i am using ZIP utility first time

Thanks,
Girish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IBMMAINFRAMES.com Support Forums -> All Other Mainframe Topics All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 

Search our Forum:

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Posted
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Fetching data from BAI File arunsoods JCL & VSAM 1 Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:28 pm
No new posts Write out NODUPS but just from one file Jay Villaverde DFSORT/ICETOOL 8 Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:44 am
No new posts How to add header with Date(YYMMDD) i... Rajan Moorthy DFSORT/ICETOOL 2 Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:44 pm
No new posts How to generate a new unique Input fi... for1ranjith CLIST & REXX 11 Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:09 pm
No new posts Writing a file using online program grvtomar PL/I & Assembler 3 Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:06 pm


Facebook
Back to Top
 
Mainframe Wiki | Forum Rules | Bookmarks | Subscriptions | FAQ | Tutorials | Contact Us