I would be so appreciate if anybody cold give me some advise on SYS dump relted knowledge.
Some question here:
1) How is sys dump works for CICS?
2) How I can know where the SYS dump is open for dumping.
3) What kind of Utility could be used to analyse dump the only I know is IPCS tools anybody could give some idea on this tool?
Are there any available resource in the internet who have could post for me. Thanks again!
Joined: 06 Jun 2008 Posts: 8237 Location: Dubuque, Iowa, USA
1. SYS dump is usually not as important in CICS as a transaction dump, which captures data about the transaction causing the abend
2. Talk to your site support group. During z/OS installation the SYS dump data sets are defined for use. Typically, there's an automatic process to copy a sys dump to tape and clear the sys dump file for the next dump. The sys dump data sets are used when needed; I don't think they're kept open all the time (but that's just a guess on my part).
3. IPCS is your best tool for analyzing the dump.
z/OS Initialization and Tuning Reference manual is available from IBM and talks about system dump data sets somewhat; some of the knowledge is very site specific so for full details contact your site support group.
Joined: 23 Nov 2006 Posts: 19270 Location: Inside the Matrix
In cics one is usually interested in a transaction dump, rather than an entire cics region dump. These days many systems use Expediter or Intertest or something similar and programmers do not use dump analysis as much.
Suggest you talk with the cics system support for your system as to what is available on your system.