Joined: 18 Jun 2007 Posts: 213 Location: Cochin/Kerala/India
I've two questions regarding the sort.
1) Can we use same VSAM files as the input and output in SORT.
2) DFSORT and SYNCSORT and the companies products which doing SORTING,Why these products have the same key words and all?
Which product is released first?SYNCSORT or DFSORT?
1) DFSORT allows you to use the same VSAM file as input and output providing that:
* you sort the file
* you specify DFSORT's VSAMIO and RESET options
* the VSAM data set is defined with REUSE
2) Actually, the products do not have all of the same keywords. They have many of the same keywords to make migration between them easier, but they also have differences (that is, exclusive functions found in one but not the other). I believe IBM's OS/VS Sort/Merge was released first many decades ago - it was renamed to DFSORT starting with Release 6.
For details on DFSORT's newest exclusive functions available with z/OS V1R5 PTF UK90013 (July, 2008), see: