Portal | Manuals | References | Downloads | Info | Programs | JCLs | Master the Mainframes
IBM Mainframe Computers Forums Index
 
Register
 
IBM Mainframe Computers Forums Index Mainframe: Search IBM Mainframe Forum: FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
 

 

Mainframe Interview Questions

 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    IBMMAINFRAMES.com Support Forums -> Mainframe Interview Questions
View previous topic :: :: View next topic  
Author Message
shalug

New User


Joined: 15 Feb 2008
Posts: 3
Location: atlanta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Mainframe Interview Questions
Reply with quote

The below questions were asked during my interview.

1) Job1, job2, job3 are using one common program. Each job executes this program for it specific process. How would you find/know which job is using this program?

2) Changed map field length and the corresponding program also changed. By mistake, moved program only to production. What error will occur while accessing this map/program?

3) Record length 100 is defined in File Description. If I move 200 length data to that record field, what error will occur?

4) What error will occur, if move data to column field in DB2 table. Data size is larger than column field size?

5) Select 'abc' from table table_name, what will it return result. If 'abc' value is in the table.

Can anyone please answer to these questions?

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

murmohk1

Senior Member


Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 1439
Location: Bangalore,India

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Shalug,

Quote:
Job1, job2, job3 are using one common program. Each job executes this program for it specific process. How would you find/know which job is using this program?

A simple search in all the libs with search string as 'prog name' provides you the list.

Quote:
Record length 100 is defined in File Description. If I move 200 length data to that record field, what error will occur?

Truncation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anuj Dhawan

Senior Member


Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Posts: 6258
Location: Mumbai, India

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

murmohk1 wrote:
Quote:
Job1, job2, job3 are using one common program. Each job executes this program for it specific process. How would you find/know which job is using this program?

A simple search in all the libs with search string as 'prog name' provides you the list.
Hi,

I think interviewer was asking if the JOBs are 'running', at that given moment which JOB is using the load module of that program...

...just a different perception about the same question.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
murmohk1

Senior Member


Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 1439
Location: Bangalore,India

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Anuj,

Quote:
I think interviewer was asking if the JOBs are 'running', at that given moment which JOB is using the load module of that program...

Manual search.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jpraveenreddy

New User


Joined: 30 Nov 2007
Posts: 28
Location: mysore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply to: Mainframe Interview Questions - Answers needed ple
Reply with quote

Quote:
1) Job1, job2, job3 are using one common program. Each job executes this program for it specific process. How would you find/know which job is using this program?


I think looking into spool can help.
Correct me if i am wrong
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anuj Dhawan

Senior Member


Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Posts: 6258
Location: Mumbai, India

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi Murali,

I didn't get You, what do You want to convey here?

BTW, if I go with my assumption, I'll say, LOD modules are with DISP=SHR, who is bothered to check which JOB is using the LOD module. I don't think that interviewer wanted to listen about the ISPF 3.14 option.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vasanthkumarhb

Active User


Joined: 06 Sep 2007
Posts: 276
Location: Bang,iflex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to: Mainframe Interview Questions
Reply with quote

Hi.........



Quote:
Changed map field length and the corresponding program also changed. By mistake, moved program only to production. What error will occur while accessing this map/program?


If u move the changed program with out staging in to the production, during AUDIT process you will get SYNC10 or SYNC12 error
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vasanthkumarhb

Active User


Joined: 06 Sep 2007
Posts: 276
Location: Bang,iflex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hiiiiiiii.......


Quote:

What error will occur, if move data to column field in DB2 table. Data size is larger than column field size


obviously data get truncated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CICS Guy

Senior Member


Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Posts: 2150
Location: At my coffee table

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mainframe Interview Questions
Reply with quote

shalug wrote:
1) Job1, job2, job3 are using one common program. Each job executes this program for it specific process. How would you find/know which job is using this program?
Huh?
Quote:
2) Changed map field length and the corresponding program also changed. By mistake, moved program only to production. What error will occur while accessing this map/program?
Truncation...
Quote:
3) Record length 100 is defined in File Description. If I move 200 length data to that record field, what error will occur?
Truncation...
Quote:
4) What error will occur, if move data to column field in DB2 table. Data size is larger than column field size?
Truncation...
Quote:
5) Select 'abc' from table table_name, what will it return result. If 'abc' value is in the table.
Just the 'abc' literal you specified.....

Note: the 'Truncation' answer assumes COBOL....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nbalajibe
Warnings : 1

New User


Joined: 28 Nov 2006
Posts: 75
Location: India

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Quote:
1) Job1, job2, job3 are using one common program. Each job executes this program for it specific process. How would you find/know which job is using this program?


Using the command "/DISP A" in the corresponding online region we can get the details of the JOBs running and the programs they access.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nbalajibe
Warnings : 1

New User


Joined: 28 Nov 2006
Posts: 75
Location: India

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Quote:
5) Select 'abc' from table table_name, what will it return result. If 'abc' value is in the table.


If there are n records in the table, the literal 'abc' would be returned n times.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CICS Guy

Senior Member


Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Posts: 2150
Location: At my coffee table

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

[quote="nbalajibeUsing the command "/DISP A" in the corresponding online region we can get the details of the JOBs running and the programs they access.[/quote]"/DISP"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nbalajibe
Warnings : 1

New User


Joined: 28 Nov 2006
Posts: 75
Location: India

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Code:
/DISP A 


This is a command to be given in the online region.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vasanthkumarhb

Active User


Joined: 06 Sep 2007
Posts: 276
Location: Bang,iflex

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi nbalajibe......


Code:
/DISP A 



this commands are company specific. It differs form one organisation to other (Its a kind of in house tool).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shalug

New User


Joined: 15 Feb 2008
Posts: 3
Location: atlanta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Anuj D. wrote:
murmohk1 wrote:
Quote:
Job1, job2, job3 are using one common program. Each job executes this program for it specific process. How would you find/know which job is using this program?

A simple search in all the libs with search string as 'prog name' provides you the list.
Hi,

I think interviewer was asking if the JOBs are 'running', at that given moment which JOB is using the load module of that program...

...just a different perception about the same question.


Anuj, interviewer has asked the same.

Thanks all for the answers...

I told to interviewer that truncation error. But, he was asked the specific error message/code...

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    IBMMAINFRAMES.com Support Forums -> Mainframe Interview Questions All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 

Search our Forum:

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Posted
No new posts Produce Mainframe Dash Board Reports ... sdcarlson53 All Other Mainframe Topics 2 Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:01 pm
No new posts Viewing executing process in NDM .. q... Debb.Brant IBM Tools 0 Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:55 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Urgent Mainframe Requirments (2-10 yr... Shankar779 Mainframe Jobs 0 Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:48 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Mainframe Developer requirement in Ku... capricorn Mainframe Jobs 0 Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:49 pm
No new posts Interface from Mainframe to Confluenc... hblun CLIST & REXX 4 Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:47 pm


Facebook
Back to Top
 
Mainframe Wiki | Forum Rules | Bookmarks | Subscriptions | FAQ | Tutorials | Contact Us