Joined: 10 May 2005 Posts: 1 Location: St. Louis, MO USA
Here's something that I use:
1. Take off the TYPRUN parm to get it to actually delete the data sets
2. Change the EXC and BY parms to fit your situation
This example shows that I'm excluding certain data sets from selection and that I'm only looking for uncataloged data sets that were created or referenced less than 3 days ago.
DATASET (VTOC) Listing.. (Delete info discussed above)
The IBM DFDSS utility works fine for the final dataset list and it is easy to delete other product libraries if we are not very careful - this is a very powerful utility and please be careful with DFDSS wildcard character usage. Some sites rename libraries from IBM defaults. Some sites do not have DFDSS licensed.
You may want to get a comprehensive VTOC listing of your volsers first. Then filter the datasets to be deleted from the master listing. I generally after full volume DFDSS dataset level weekly backups:
(1) crete a master listing of VTOC of all applicable volsers
(2) filter datasets to be deleted from the master listing and (run IEBIBALL utility) double check
(3) I submit DFDSS delete job with specific dataset names
This way I can restore dataset from my weekly backups (if need be), and avoid doing the backup if I do this later. I use DASDSCAN utility. Here are some URLs for the free utility: