A pastor of one church who was previously a sailor, was very aware that ships are addressed as "she" or "her". He often wondered what gender computers should be addressed.
To answer that question, he set up two groups of computer experts. The
First was comprised of women, and the second of men. Each group was asked to
Recommend whether computers should be referred to in the feminine gender, or the masculine gender. They were asked to give 4 reasons for their recommendation.
The group of women reported that the computers should be referred to in the Masculine gender because:
1. In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on.
2. They have a lot of data, but are still clueless.
3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they are the problem.
4. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else.
The men, on the other hand concluded that Computers should be referred to in the feminine gender because:
1. No one but the Creator understands their internal logic.
2. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that, if you had waited a little longer you could have had a better model.
3. Even your smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for later retrieval.
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it."