B] TIME REQUIRED FOR PREPARATION
As per my opinion, time required for preparation is as follows:
1. First reading of reference book – 15 days.
2. Clearing free voucher test – 2-3 days
3. Practice and revision – 7 days
C] VOUCHER TEST / SAMPLE TEST:
1. A sample test is available on IBM site for preparation of IBM DB2 certification (refer link A3). This test is conducted on internet.
2. There is a free voucher scheme available for this certification. This means that if you score more than 75% marks in the sample test, you can appear for the IBM certification test free of cost.
3. You can appear for this sample test as many times as you wish. Once you score 75% + marks, IBM will send you a voucher number through email.
4. When you register for main certification exam, you have to give this voucher number.
5. For taking this sample test you have to register on the IBM site. Link no A3 mentioned above will lead to registration page.
6. The sample test is very easy as compared to main exam and most of the times you can score 75% easily. Thus it is advisable to appear for sample test first and then for main exam as in that case you won’t have to pay any money for main exam.
D] BOOKS AND RESOURCES USED:
1. For preliminary preparation I used following book:
“DB2 Universal Database V7.1 for UNIX, Linux, Windows and OS/2 DBA Certification” -by Baklarz and Wong
Above book contain 16 chapters out of which only first 8 chapters are applicable for IBM test 512. Rests of the chapters are for test 513. Total number of pages to be read is about 400.
This book discusses all theoretical aspects in detail and gives practical examples. Many conceptual questions in IBM exam are discussed in this book.
My experience is that 15 days are sufficient to read this book thoroughly.
2. For a last day revision, I used free IBM tutorial (link 4 mentioned above) which was very useful. But it does not have any practical examples and for first round of study, it should not be used.
3. Other than these 2 resources, some other books are also available on AMAZON for DB2 test 512 preparation. I did not use them.
4. There is a CBT available on IBM site. But I feel that it is of very basic nature and does not help in preparing for the test.
E] ABOUT MAIN IBM TEST
1. IBM test is conducted in IBM authorized centers only. There is one IBM center at Nigadi.
2. You have to register for the exam at least 2 days in advance.
3. There are 55 questions and you have 75 minutes to answer them.
4. Passing score is 55%.
5. You can change the answers at any point of time during the exam.
6. Main IBM test covers questions from all topics and equal weightage is given to theory questions and practical problems.
7. Some of the important topics which had high weightage when I appeared for the test are as follows:
Locking and Isolation levels – 8 questions
Commit and Rollback concepts – 5 questions
SQL – 10 questions
Creation of databases – 7-8 questions
I got one question though , the book you referred is look like for DBA certification , but i would like to do certification on Application programming side , which is the first part and later move on to DBA level
-----------------------mail from IBM----------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting the IBM Professional Certification Program. As of now we do not have a free testing voucher promotion.
Please visit our Certify News website:
http://www-1.ibm.com/certify/news/index.shtml where all new promotions and certification information is announced.
I recently passed the Exam 700 (DB2 UDB v8 Family Fundamentals) which is equivalent to Exam 512 (for v7). I studied the tutorials in the IBM website and the book "Db2 udb v8 Exam 700 Certification Guide" by Roger Sanders.